Monday, August 10, 2009

Chore Sticks

What a great time it is when your kids can finally help out with all of the chores. As Jeff so aptly noted, this looks like something a teacher would create. :) I was indeed in teacher-mode when I devised this devilish plan. I was absolutely worn out from either doing all of the chores or nagging the girls to do them.
Here's the system: the orange cup holds all of the chores that need to get done; not necessarily on a daily basis. Emilee has the green cup and sticks, Ainslee has the blue cup and sticks, and Mollee has the pink cup and purple sticks. They have three "must do" chores everyday on the sticks that correspond to their cup color. Before they can do anything, they must complete these three chores: 1. Make your bed. 2. Put away your shoes and backpack. 3. Put dirty clothes in the hamper (not on the floor!). After those three are completed they can play with toys or read books or whatever they choose. However, if they want to watch TV or play on the computer or DS, they have to do a chore. They can choose any chore stick. For every chore stick they complete (aside from the basic three) they earn 30 minutes of TV, computers, DS, or iTouch time.
The new system has had some interesting effects. Poor Emi was pouting the first Saturday after we began because she wanted to watch TV while eating breakfast but she had not completed any of her chores. Also, I don't think my house has been so dusted and vacuumed! Those seem to be their favorite chores and probably get done on a daily basis. And let's not forget the fighting over cleaning the toilet. Seriously?! I know!
I just cannot even express how pleased I am with the success of this system. We have been in full effect for about a week and I couldn't be happier. When I see them completing chores and putting sticks in their cups, it means there is one less chore for me to do. They are also becoming so responsible; they remind each other of unfinished chores (no more nagging from me). Here's hoping we continue this bliss!

2 comments:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

You are so creative! Keep posting your secrets...I will have to remember these in the next few year.

mary love said...

Ok, I think it's time for a new post!